Assignment – Basic Windshield Survey
This activity is intended for undergraduate nursing students. In this activity, students will observe, think critically about and report health issues in diverse community environments.
A Windshield Survey is a collection of subjective personal observations. It is your personal observations on what you see and experience in a specific environment. Sentinel City® provides you with a safe way to immerse yourself in several different types of neighborhoods, from the safety of your home or office. For this windshield survey, you will tour the city, record your observations, and submit a written response that addresses the specific items listed.
Terms and Definitions
1. Key Informant: Examples of key informants include, but are not limited to: political leaders, health care providers, service providers, such as mail carriers or shop owners; and long-term residents of the community, members of the fire or police department. People who live or work in the community are a rich source of information regarding the community and can often provide data not found in printed form.
2. Epidemiology: The study of the distribution and determinants of health-related states or events.
1. Review the following resources:
a. QSEN: Quality and Safety Education for Nurses
b. The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health
c. The Future of Public Health
d. Watch the Henry Street Settlement: 120 Years in 4 Minutes Video
e. Stanhope and Lancaster (2018): Chapter 12.
2. Enter Sentinel City® Community Health Simulation and get on the virtual bus. Since this is your first tour, select the slowest speed and stay on the bus the entire time.
3. As you take the tour, write down your observations, specifically, those that align with the following demographics and/or subsystems.
4. Describe the characteristics of the people you see in Sentinel City®. What are the race/ethnicity distribution, age ranges and gender mix? Are there signs of poverty or wealth? What are they?
5. Who do you see on the streets? Parent with a child, teens, couples, disabled persons? Is there anyone in the city you would not expect to see?
6. Are there homeless persons?
7. Are the dogs on or off leash? Are there other animals?
8. Are there churches, synagogues, or mosques and what are their denominations or affiliations?
9. Select a target population of interest and discuss relevant demographic data and health status indicators for this population group.
10. Identify major health concerns for this target population. Include discussion of major health concerns in relation to a global health issue.
11. You are encouraged to add other relevant characteristics you observe.
12. After your tour is complete, compile your observations into an APA-formatted, two to four page paper, with at least two scholarly references, addressing each item listed above.
– Differentiate between community health nursing and public health nursing.
– Relate historical events to principles that underlie community and public health nursing today.
– Integrate concepts of public health with community health nursing.
AACN Public Health Essentials
This assignment addresses the following AACN Public Health Essentials:
– Essential II: Basic Organizational and Systems Leadership for Quality Care and Patient Safety
o Apply systems theory to PHN practice with individuals, families, and groups.
– Essential III: Essential III: Scholarship for Evidence-based Practice
o Use epidemiologic data and the ecological perspective to identify health risks for a population.
– Essential VII: Clinical Prevention and Population Health for Optimizing Health
o Practice evidence-based public health nursing to promote the health of individuals, families, and groups.
– Essential IX: Baccalaureate Generalist Nursing Practice
o Use basic descriptive epidemiological methods when conducting a health assessment for individuals, families, and groups.
Questions to help students review the concepts in the material:
– What would you describe as the top three health concerns for Sentinel City® Community Health Simulation?
– Give examples of observations that support your top three health concerns.
– Identify one epidemiological event/issue that could potentially occur in Sentinel City® Community Health Simulation.
Critical Thinking Questions
– Identify one vulnerable or underserved population in Sentinel City® Community Health Simulation and describe a health problem specific to that group. What initiatives should a community health nurse take to help the population with that health problem?
– Identify three key informants in Sentinel City® Community Health Simulation. What qualities make them good key informants?
Grading Rubric – Basic Windshield Survey
Click Here To Download
The post Assignment – Basic Windshield Survey appeared first on AssignmentHub.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now