Discussion on Listening
An essential element to improving your communication skills is your ability to reflect on and become self-aware of your own mistakes and short-comings and take ownership of them. This discussion requires you to be honest with yourself and refrain from attributing blame to others. This assignment requires you to demonstrate self-reflection and accountability and explore specific ways to improve your active listening skills.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
This discussion question has two steps:
· Step 1 : Reflect on your listening behaviors in in the professional environment (or college environment). In a 200-300 word post identify two barriers to effective listening that hinder your ability to actively/mindfully listen. Explain. Using what you learned in either William Ury’s TED Talk, Celeste Headlee’s TED Talk, or the HBR article What Great Listeners Actually Do by Jack Zenger, identify two specific changes you will make in order to become a more active/ mindful/ genuine listener? Be specific. Explain.
· Step 2 -: Read at least 5 of your colleagues’ initial responses. Choose 2 to comment to. Each comment should be at least 100 words in length and add to the conversation (reflect on their experience, add your own examples, ask questions, respectfully debate what is said, etc.) Often a student will choose to comment on a response that was most helpful to them in understanding the course material better or one that they found interesting or intriguing.
· Complete Initial Response – 20 Points: Your initial response should demonstrate analysis (review the link labeled Analyzing versus Summarizing in Modules.) Your initial response should be fully developed addressing the question with adequate examples from the assigned reading and thoughtful explanation of why or how. A complete initial response is a minimum of 200 words in length.
· Two comments to colleagues – 20 Points: After you complete your initial response to an online question, you should read through several of your colleagues’ responses and choose at least two to provide a comment to. Often a student will choose to comment on a response that was most helpful to them in understanding the course material better or one that they found interesting or intriguing. Any comment to a colleague should adequately explain why you found your colleague’s response helpful, interesting or intriguing and be at least 100 words in length.
· Appropriate Integration of Course Concepts and Terms – 20 Points: your initial response should appropriately integrate course terminology and concepts from class materials.
· Organization, evidence of proofreading, spelling checked and proper capitalization– 10 Points: Your posts should demonstrate that you carefully proofread, be organized, free of spelling errors, typos and fragments and follow capitalization conventions.