Working as a Nurse in the Australian Health Care System
Assessment Task 1 Short Answer Questions
You are required to submit your responses to eight (8) questions related to working in the nursing profession and the Australian health care system.
Research to assist your responses can be accessed in the HLTEN401B_HLTEN516B my.TAFE topics and also from the following sources:
Databases on the GCIT Library website: GCIT Library Nursing
1. Crisp J. Taylor C. Douglas C. & Rebeiro G. (Eds.) (2013). Potter & Perrys fundamentals of nursing (4th ed.). Sydney Australia: Elsevier
2. Brown D. and Edwards H. (2012) Lewiss Medical-surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems. (3rd ed.) Sydney Australia: Elsevier.
Websites and relevant documents which have been uploaded in the Additional Resources folder in the HLTEN401B_HLTEN516B unit on my.TAFE
Short Answer Questions:
1. Part of your education includes experiences in different types of healthcare settings. How would your role in the primary care setting be different from your role in the acute care setting? Include in your discussion a definition of the philosophy of primary health care and the principles of wellness.
2. Mr Alexopoulos is 88 years old who has migrated from Greece and lives alone. He speaks very basic English only. In the past year he has fallen twice at home once by tripping over a rug and once when he got up to go to the bathroom at night. He has become increasingly afraid of falling again and tends to restrict his activities in the home. He goes out only when accompanied by his son.
a. In the information provided outline the data the nurse would use to complete a risk assessment for Mr Alexopoulos (include biopsychosocial and cultural health care considerations in relation to implementing primary health care).
b. What aspects of Mr Alexopoulos environment need to be assessed?
c. Design specific interventions to ensure Mr Alexopoulos safety in his home.
d. In terms of evaluation what findings indicate that Mr Alexopoulos should not live alone in the house?
e. What allied health and community services referrals would you suggest to assist Mr Alexopoulos to maintain his independence?
3. Choose one of the theories listed below and explain how it would apply in these different healthcare settings: Aged Care; Palliative Care; Mental Health; Hospitals.
Basic human needs theory
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
4. Many countries suffer health inequalities including Australia specifically within the ATSI community. In Western societies social issues continue to emerge as the gap between those with and those without economic resources grows.
a. In what ways do you think an individuals financial status affects their ability to access health resources?
b. Outline the social determinants that you consider disadvantage people and create health inequalities in your answer include the common health inequalities for the ATSI community.
5. Discuss the following features of the Australian health care system:
a. State vs Federal health care funding
b. Medicare vs Private Health Insurance
c. Aged Care
d. Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
6. Access DMF A4 nursing summary guide 2010 from the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website:
Use this scope of practice decision making summary to assist you to identify the issues outlined in the following case study:
This evening when you report for your shift on to your general medical ward the charge nurse tells you that you need to assist on the orthopaedic ward. You have not had any recent experience with orthopaedic patients. When you arrive on the orthopaedic ward the charge nurse allocates you patients who require special techniques for getting out of bed and who need to do exercises using specialised equipment during the shift. You are not familiar with the techniques or the equipment. The charge nurse tells you that the patients can explain it to you.
a. Should you accept this assignment and rely on the patients to explain the techniques and equipment to you?
b. What aspects of the DMF A4 nursing summary guide 2010 need to be considered in this situation?
c. What action(s) would you take?
d. Discuss your Scope of Practice within the Enrolled/Division 2 nurse role
7. Identify 2 community health promotional strategies and evaluate their effectiveness.
8. When you graduate identify where you could find out about employment opportunities.
Outline the interview process and materials/Information required to apply for a position.
* Please follow below the marking criteria as guide!
Define primary health care and the principles of wellness within the context of the contemporary Australian health care system.
Compare and explain nursing practice in a primary health care setting vs an acute care setting
Correctly identifies the biopsychosocial and cultural health care data required to assess risk.
Discuss environmental risk factors.
Outline patient education related to environmental risk factors.
Correctly identify evaluation data that indicates that Mr Alexopoulos should not live alone.
Suggest appropriate community and allied health referrals to assist the client to maintain independence.
Explain the philosophy of the chosen theory
Apply the theory to a range different health care settings such as community care acute care aged care
Identify if there are any differences when applying the chosen theory to different health care settings 0 S
Discuss financial status and its relationship to health access and equity
Outline the social determinants that may disadvantage people and create health inequalities specifically for the ATSI people 0 S
Outline and compare Medicare versus private health insurance
Explain state versus federal government allocation of health funds
Discuss aged care in Australia including:
which tier of government is responsible for this area and the allocation of funds.
If funding is conditional (e.g. accreditation). 0 S
Correctly identify scope of practice and/or delegation concerns outlined in the case study scenario.
Refer to DMF A4 nursing summary guide 2010 to describe the scope of practice and/or delegation issues outlined in the case study scenario
Discuss appropriate action(s) to address scope of practice (specifically within Enrolled/Division 2 Nurses) and/or delegation concerns outlined in the case study scenario 0 S
Identify community health promotional strategies and evaluate effectiveness 0 S
Identify employment opportunities.
Outline the interview process & materials/information required to apply for a position. 0 S