1. (Compulsory) If and how does the selected health initiative/solution meet the NZ obligations based on Te
Tiriti o Waitangi? How does the solution/initiative respond to the four Articles of the Treaty? What are some
recommendations that could enhance the initiatives’/solution’s effectiveness in relation to the Treaty?
• It ensures that Maori tikanga (practices and values) are taken into consideration when dealing with and
responding to domestic violence. (Ministry of Justice, 2018)
• This links to article 3 – equity between Maori and pakeha.
• Links to article 1 – the Family Violence Act 2018, is binded by the Crown (Ministry of Justice, 2018), and
Crown has a responsibility to maintain peace (Berghan et al, 2017).
• Recommendations: this Act does not mention the Treaty of Waitangi.