ITECH 2004 Data Modelling
ERD and SQL
The purpose of this task is to develop student’s skills in designing an ER diagram (ERD) and implementing this in a relational database for a given case study.
Timelines and Expectations
Percentage Value of Task: 25% (70 marks).
Due: Week 7 – Friday May 7, 2021, 4:00 pm.
Minimum time expectation: This task will take approximately 20 hours to complete.
Learning Outcomes Assessed
The following learning outcomes are assessed by completing this assessment: K4, K5, S1, S2, S3, A1 and A2.
Kids e-Books is a company that specialises in loaning children’s e-books to the general public, schools, kindergartens and play groups. Kids e-Books can own several copies (BOOKCOPY) of each book (BOOK). For example, Kids e-Books may have 10 copies of the book: Where is the green sheep? In the database, the book: Where is the green sheep? would be one BOOK, and each copy would be a BOOKCOPY. A borrow transaction (BORROW) involves one or more copies being lent to a member (MEMBERSHIP). A copy can be loaned many times over its lifetime; therefore, there is an M:N relationship between BORROW and BORROWCOPY. DETAILBORROW is the bridge table to resolve this relationship.
1. Design your ER Diagram with all entity names, attribute names, primary and foreign keys, relationships, cardinality and participation indicated. You may add entities or attributes as you see fit. You will need to normalise all of your entities, to resolve any many to many relationships.
• Your attribute names, primary and foreign keys should be indicated as per the conventions given in the lecture slides (i.e., entity/table names in capitals, attributes as proper nouns, primary key underlined and foreign keys in italics).
• All many to many relationships should be resolved, and you should include a discussion of normalisation including the normal form that each entity is in and why that is optimal. Also, a discussion of how normalisation was achieved for that entity.
2. For each entity, create some example data for that entity. Include 5 rows of data for each entity.
3. Write the SQL code to create the table structures from your developed ERD. The structures should contain the attributes specified in your ERD. Use data types that are appropriate for the data that will need to be stored in each attribute. Enforce primary key and foreign key constraints as indicated by your ERD.
4. Write the SQL code to insert your data from (2) into the SQL table structures
1. Prepare a business style report which contains the following:
a) ER diagram based on defined scenario
b) Example data
c) A copy of your SQL code
d) Statement of any resources used. These includes full disclosure of assistance from all sources including tutors and other students. Full APA referencing of any resources used.
Report file name: ITECH2004_Assignment1_Report_yourname_studentID
A suggested structure for the above report is provided. You can use it as a guideline for presenting your business report. For assistance in report writing techniques, see: https://studyskills.federation.edu.au/assessment/written-tasks/reports/
A suggested case study report structure is as follows.
Table of contents
2.0 ERD for: [insert company name]
3.0 Example data
4.0 SQL statements
4.1 Create tables
4.2 Insert data
2. A copy of the SQL statements, file name: ITECH2004_Assignment1_SQL_yourname_studentID.txt
Assessment should be presented in accordance with instructions in writing guides, layout, and appearance guidelines.
• Helpsheets: https://studyskills.federation.edu.au/student-skills/helpsheets/
• Writing guides: https://studyskills.federation.edu.au/assessment/written-tasks/
• Layout and appearance: https://studyskills.federation.edu.au/student-skills/writing/layout-and-appearance/
You many require help from textbooks, websites, YouTube videos etc., these should be presented in APA format:
• See FedCite – referencing tool: https://federation.edu.au/library/student-resources/fedcite
The assignment is to be submitted via the Assignment 1 submission box in Moodle. This can be found in the Assessments section of the course Moodle shell.
1. The report file described above EITHER as a MS word file or a PDF. If you are using MacOS, please submit as a PDF.
2. The database file, as described above.
Please note that the SQL files must be either .txt or .sql so they can be run If they are in a word or pdf file there will be extra characters that will prevent the files from running without errors and will cost marks.
This assessment will be marked by the course lecturer and/or tutors. Feedback and marks will be provided individually in Moodle. Marks will also be available in FDL Marks.
Plagiarism is the presentation of the expressed thought or work of another person as though it is one’s own without properly acknowledging that person. You must not allow other students to copy your work and must take care to safeguard against this happening. More information about the plagiarism policy and procedure for the university can be found at: http://federation.edu.au/students/learning-and-study/online-help-with/plagiarism
Please refer to the Course Description for information regarding late assignments, extensions, and special consideration. A reminder all academic regulations can be accessed via the university’s website, see: http://federation.edu.au/staff/governance/legal/feduni-legislation
Assessment Criteria Marking Scale
Presentation and referencing 0
ER diagram – completeness of diagram 0
– correct notation and convention used 0
– all assumptions clearly noted 0
– primary and foreign keys 0
– resolution of many to many relationships 0
Normalisation – discussion of normalisation for all entities and relationships 0
– appropriate interpretation of each normal form, arguments for leaving the schema in the normal form you consider optimal 0
Example data – example data provided for each entity/table 0
SQL statements – correct translation of the ER diagram submitted with appropriate tables 0
– types and restriction on attributes given 0
– primary keys correctly implemented 0
– foreign keys correctly implemented 0
– insert statement correctly implemented 0
Total Mark [70 marks] 0.0
Total Worth [25%] 0.0
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now