In this assessment you will be required to write an individual piece of work in the form of a report to the senior management of a medium sized company in your own region.
Report to the senior management of a medium sized company in your own region
In this assessment you will be required to write an individual piece of work in the form of a report to the senior management of a medium sized company in your own region. You can write about any company of your choice and should either choose one where a good level of information is publicly available or one you work with. The company should trade locally and globally. The report will require you to analyse current issues and developments in local and global trade logistics, and will use methods and techniques from the module and your own academic and practical research. You will also need to advise the company on adjusting its production schedule using an optimiser, from information given in the assignment.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
You have been asked by the senior management team (SMT) to assess the best way to set up a supply chain for a new product line which the company has just finished developing and is looking to put into production. The product can be something the company is actually considering launching, or something you think the company may be capable of producing in the future. For example, a food company will need to launch a food product not a car, and vice versa. The company will also need your help to optimise its production facility to deal with the new product.
This task is in two parts.
Part 1: Supply Chain Investigation
Explore the best routes to local markets and to the lucrative markets of Europe and the USA, where the product will be launched. This will be in your report as ‘Supply Chain Route Investigation’.
This investigation will comprise:
- Supply chain transportation identification, to include:
- The best method of carrying the product (container, size, etc)
- An identification of two or three possible routes to reach target markets, including the type(s) of transport needed along the route (e.g. road, rail, shipping, air)
- A consideration of the types of contract that would be appropriate for transportation (a single contract, bill of lading, etc)
- An investigation of the cost of transporting the product
- Analysis of options, to include:
- Consideration of costs
- Supply chain risk analysis for each of the possible routes identified
- Time to transport the product
- An indication of where IT, and in particular Industry 4.0, might be used to optimise the supply chain
- Justification of chosen route with:
- Outline of its effectiveness (e.g. throughput)
- An estimate of the benefits (e.g. speed, cost saving)
Part 2: Optimising the Supply Chain
The company has decided to produce the product in standard shipping batches. To cope with the new product, an adjustment to production needs to be made on the lines that will make it. The company has given you the following information:
|Product A||Product B||New Product|
|Batches to Make||?||?||?|
|Materials Required per Pallet Type||Available||Units|
|Semi-skilled labour time||50||50||100||6,000||hours|
|Skilled labour time||5||15||10||800||hours|
Design an optimiser on Microsoft Excel (as shown in the Guided Practice session, Week 5) and use the Solver add-on to advise the company how many batches of each product it should make to maximise profit.
2. Use your spreadsheet to model a reduction in skilled labour hours by 100, to 700.
3. Advise the company what it could adjust to maintain profit, assuming other factors (apart from skilled labour) could be adjusted.
You should include a set of screenshots in your assignment showing your optimisation formula – results can be submitted as an appendix to your report.”
The post Report to the senior management of a medium sized company in your own region appeared first on AssignmentHub.