Assignment 2 Speaking
Information for students:
In order to meet the requirements of English for Academic Purposes 1 all students must give a presentation on a researched topic of interest.
Pair PowerPoint Presentation – Problem & Solution
• This is a group assessment (in pairs, but depending on class numbers, a group of 3) focusing on your ability to discuss and identify a current issue, conduct research, and deliver a group presentation outlining the findings
• This presentation can be about the same topic as your essay or a different problem and solution topic
• Primary research will be a survey of 10 questions, which you will use to survey a minimum of
• Can present clearly and in detail on complex subjects, specific to chosen discipline
• Can prepare and conduct research via a simple survey and present findings in a formal context using PowerPoint
• Can take an active part in discussion in academic contexts, accounting for and sustaining views
• Can incorporate a graph/chart and describe it accurately
Presentation Length: minimum 8-10 minutes (4-5 minutes per student); plus 6-8 minutes of questions and discussion (3-4 minutes per student).
Date due: First draft due on Monday week 4
Final presentations delivered in week 5 on Monday and/or Tuesday
The following components must be included in your presentation:
• An appropriate introduction, body and conclusion
• 12 slides (6 slides per student) in the body of your presentation with visual representation of your survey findings (e.g. graph, table, pie chart etc.)
• Time for questions, comments and feedback from your audience
Assessment and marking criteria
Your presentation will be assessed using the following criteria:
COMPETENCIES GRADE and FEEDBACK
Fluency and Coherence; Task
• Coherence = clear, logical order of arguments / avoids irrelevance
• Task (has it been addressed and to what extent)
• Time management 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 3.5 4 4.5 5 5.5 6
Structure and Organization
• Content = slide/presentation progression, visuals
• Referencing 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 3.5 4 4.5 5 5.5 6
Language Input (lexical and grammatical accuracy and resources)
• Vocabulary range and accuracy
• Grammatical range and accuracy
• Academic register 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 3.5 4 4.5 5 5.5 6
Presentation Skills and Techniques
• Interaction with audience
• Facilitating discussion
• Gestures, eye contact, body language
• Voice and clarity of expression
• Comprehensibility 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 3.5 4 4.5 5 5.5 6
The mark for each competency represents the level to which these criteria have been fulfilled. The overall mark for this assignment is determined from the average of the above areas of competency.
Minimum requirements to pass:
• EAP1 exit 5.5: achieve a minimum of grade 2 in at least three competencies and a grade higher than 2 in the remaining competency (first block), and a minimum grade 2 in two competencies and a grade higher than 2 in the remaining two competencies (second block). This grade represents 25% of the final mark.
• EAP2 exit 6.0: achieve a minimum of grade 2 in one competency and a grade higher than 2 in the remaining three competencies (first block), and a minimum grade 3 in all four competencies (second block). This grade represents 25% of the final mark.
• EAP3 exit 6.5: achieve a minimum of grade 3 in at least three competencies and a grade higher than 3 in the remaining competency (first block) and a
minimum grade 3 in at least two competencies and a grade higher than 3 in the remaining two competencies (second block). This grade represents 25% of the final mark.
This grade represents 25% of the final mark.
Assignment 2 Speaking